“At some point concussion will be identified for the problem that it really is, and given the attention and treatment it deserves”
– Dr. Keith Klassen Brain Injury: Networking the North, Laurentian Hospital Sudbury. 1995.
Concussion | Motor Vehicle Accidents
Drs. Champaigne and Klassen have been working effectively with concussion and brain injury from work place injury, motor vehicle accident and sports injury since the days when it was dismissed and misunderstood by many. Thankfully, the general understanding and development of treatments have come a long way since then. Concussion is brain injury and we have been developing interventions and working with mild to severe brain injury for over 20 years.
We know this problem and we know what to do with it.
Injury to the brain can result in complicated physical, cognitive, behavioural, ocular, academic and psychological problems. With our team, we offer a range of psychological and rehabilitation services to assist with optimal recovery from accidents which includes:
- Development of treatment plans for concussion and brain injury adjustment post injury resulting from MVA
- Cognitive screening and monitoring which includes ImPact testing
- Individual, couple and family therapy to provide education and help with adjustment for the individual with the injury and their family members and also intervention for associated anxiety and adjustment
- Neurofeedback and biofeedback therapy including Heart Rate Variability training
- Academic support, remediation and return to school planning
- Neuro-cognitive remediation training
- Training pacing and planning for gradual and helpful increases in cognitive activities which includes working with return to school programming
- Treatment for related posttraumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression
- Desensitization training for driving anxiety and other anxiety provoking situations
In addition, as part of our brain injury rehabilitation services, we have been certified to provide Interactive Metronome® (IM) since 2009. This is an evidence based, engaging therapeutic modality that improves cognitive and motor skills and has been shown to be helpful to concussion recovery for children and adults alike. Clients exercise four neurological functions at once: attention & concentration; sensory integration; functional motor control; and, synchronization. It improves the brain’s temporal processing, mental timing, efficiency and performance. In turn, IM results in functional improvements in sensory motor integration, auditory and language processing, working memory, processing speed, executive functions, and motor coordination. Interactive Metronome is also used in conjunction with neurofeedback/biofeedback in the treatment of attention deficit disorder.
Brain injury and concussion often involves multiple treatment providers. We work collaboratively with schools, parents as well as our client’s other service providers including physicians, occupational therapists, physio therapists, kinesiologists, case managers, speech language pathologists, naturopaths and optometrists.